In every metropolitan city around the world, proper waste management has always been a subject of concern, so is the case of Agege Local Government. Congested areas like Pen Cinema, Oja, Otubu, Stadium, are few examples of areas with the lack of a proper waste management system.
Following a series of surveys by Shuaib Arogundade, the following are the highlighted reasons hindering smooth waste disposal;
1. Waste Generation: Waste generation has been rising in an unprecedented manner especially due to the influx of more residents due to the developmental activities happening in and around Agege LGA. Worst off, the waste generated is not segregated and if wastes are not segregated at the source, this might lead to a high cost of waste segregation. Therefore, it’s important to avoid mixing up wastes at the source and this can be achieved by educating people on how to segregate their wastes before collection.
2. Waste Transportation: The second biggest cost incurring factor is the waste transportation which is dependent on the mode of transportation and trucks used for same. The kind of trucks determines how easy the loading/unloading process will be.
3. Waste Processing: The present waste and recycling industries lack efficient waste management processes. They are characterized by the use of outdated models and are not equipped enough to deal with the ever-growing demands for waste management solutions in Lagos State.
4. Governance: Poor financial budget allocation and inappropriate spending are factors that affect the smooth running of an efficient waste management system and this is equally applicable to Agege LGA.
5. Some other challenges include: Irregular operation of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), the superior body in charge of waste management in Lagos State. This is the obvious reason why Lagos has been tagged “a dirty State” because wastes are not promptly cleared in markets and surroundings.
In conclusion, improper waste disposal is a menace to the society at large and it must be handled with great care to avoid disease outbreaks caused by its neglect.