Protests Halt Activities At UI As SSANU, NASU Demand N30b Earned Allowance

 Protests Halt Activities At UI As SSANU, NASU Demand N30b Earned Allowance

University of Ibadan (UI) came to a halt on Monday morning as the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non-Academic Staff Union (NASU) of the institution began a three-day protest to demand N30 billion earned allowance. They are also protesting the Federal Government’s alleged refusal to obey court judgment on staff school salaries.

Security architecture in the university community was placed on alert with the movement of security patrol teams.The peaceful protest, which drew scores of affected workers to the main gate of the institution, also affected smooth vehicular movements in and out of the school premises.The protesting workers were armed with placards with inscriptions like: “We demand N30 billion to pay part of our earned allowance now”; “FG stop provoking inter-union crises in Nigerian universities”; “FG, please obey court judgment on staff school”, among others.

Chairman, SSANU UI Wale Akinremi, who was flanked by other union leaders, said any nation that treats teachers the way “we treat ours in Nigeria will never be destined for greatness”.Akinremi said the three-day protests would be followed by a branch protest and the “mother of all protests at the national level, which would shake the corridors of power to its foundation”.Last week, the national bodies of both unions frowned at the alleged preferential treatment extended to Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) by the Federal Government as seen in the allocation of 80 percent of money released, leaving the non-academic staff with 20 percent.In a resolution reached after its meeting, read by the Chairman of JAC and National President of SSANU, Comrade Samson Ugwoke, the non-teaching university workers rejected the 20 per cent earned allowance allocated to the three non-teaching unions.JAC called on the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency to release N30 billion belonging to non-teaching staff between 2009 to 2016.Ugwoke, who stressed that the protest was aimed at sending a notice of strike to the Federal Government, called on its members to ensure full compliance with the directive to show its relevance to the university system.

Sir Ariez

Waheed Ade Akinleye known as "Sir Ariez" is a blogger/CEO at & Affiliates. He's also a content writer, digital marketer and serial entrepreneur.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *